Ready Homes Will Be by Your Side Every Step of the Way
Listed below are many things to remember and keep note of during your Ready Custom Home building and planning process
Whether it’s your first time, or you’re a veteran of the process – building your own custom home can be a daunting process – but it doesn’t have to be.
Every home we build is just as important to us as yours is to you. Building your own custom home should be an exciting and fun experience.
Bring Your Wishes to Life – Our New Home Consultants will transform your lists and sketches into a living design.
Shape to Your Vision – Open up to new possibilities as you collaborate with our design team and build your dream home within your budget.
Create a solid design. What is the function of this home? Is it a summer getaway that you may sell one day? Or, is it a home that you will grow old in. Plan for the present and the future.
Make sure your lifestyle can handle the process of building a new home. Building a house can take a while. so make sure your family and your pocketbook are stable.
Come up with a system to organize and keep track of everything. Staying organized will save your sanity.
Does every room have a purpose? Don’t just build a room to have it there. Make sure to optimize the space in your new home.
Find a team that you feel comfortable with. Don’t put your dreams of building your own house into the hands of someone you don’t trust. Sit down with the people who will be working with you and get to know them.
Inspect the ground you want to build on and the rules that come with it. There are laws and codes that your house will have to meet. The faster you understand those requirements, the better.
Do your homework and prepare to spend your money. Building a house isn’t cheap, but it is worth it. Don’t be caught off-guard by a surprise expense. The more you know about the home building process, the better off you will be.
Keep around 10% of your budget for unexpected expenses.
Don’t forget about landscaping. Building your house is the main project. But have an idea of what you would like the entire lot to look like. We at The Ready Companies have a Landscape division that can help you.
Create a list of what you want and how bad you want it. Is granite a must-have that your are going to splurge on? Decide this now to help you sort things out later.
The Smaller Details That Are Still Super Important
• The width of your hallways
• Electrical switches and outlets
• Ceiling heights
• The way your doors swing
• Do you want Energy Star certified things?
• Check any underground pipes
• The lightening of your home, both natural and artificial
• Make sure you have enough storage for everything. TIP: This is your chance for custom storage!
• Remember outlets can come with USB ports now
• Any interior design ideas?
• Are your bedrooms away from noisy areas?
• Place enough outlets in the room
• Will the living room be open to the kitchen?
• Have an idea of your entertainment system setup
• Is there a playroom for the kids?
• Work and play space for adults
• Where is your mudroom or entryway?
• Washer and dryer placement
• Planned out HVAC
• Double Doors?
• Do you want a calendar/desk/organization station?
• Central vacuum system?
• Utility room space
• Do you have enough storage space?
• Consider the lightening in your closet. TIP: Motion sensor lights are awesome.
• Built-in storage racks
• What are the closets used for in each room TIP: Cleaning items closet?
• Outlets in your cabinets
• What type of finishes do you want
• Heated tiles for cold mornings
• Efficient toilet
• Consider your shower head height
• Grill placement
• Outdoor speakers
• Where are sidewalks, porches, decks, or patios?
• Outlets and faucets
• What type of outdoor lightening do you want? TIP: Don’t forget motion sensors here too!
• An irrigation system
• Where is your garage? Can it withstand high traffic?
• Backyard cinema
• Big appliances placement
• Do you want an island? Will storage be in it?
• Materials and finishes you want
• Fridge in the cabinets or jutting out?
• Charging hub for phones and tablets
• Pantry space
• Wine/beer storage
• Size of your dining table
• Radio, TV, speakers
• Installing lights under cabinets to light up your counters
• Is the kitchen near the entrance? Think about bringing in the groceries!
• Safety features for children
• Plan out an area for pet things
• A Safe room for emergencies
• Dimmer switches
• Understairs storage
Questions to Ask and to Guide You
• Where will you locate the house on the site?
• Where will the sun rise and set?
• What direction will face the street?
• How will you access the site?
• Do you prefer one story or two?
• Will there be any exposure on the basement/lower level?
• How do you want room layouts to be done?
• Consider Traffic flow through the house.
• How many bedrooms?
• How many bathrooms do you want and what size?
• What is the size of your family?
• How many people will occupy the house at one time?
• Should there be space consideration for pets?
• What should the size of the kitchen area be?
• Should it accommodate a table?
• What seating space will be available?
• What size should the pantry be for food storage?
• Will you have a washer and dryer?
• Will you have a fireplace or woodstove?
• Consider the size of the living room.
• How much furniture will you have?
• Do you want any decks, patios, or porches? If so, how large?
Ready to Take the Next Step?
To Schedule Your FREE Home Design Consultation,
Call Us at 302-257-3145 or
We Look Forward to Hearing from You!